Alter your ad-hoc profile
If you want to add/remove devices from your ad-hoc cert:
- Log in to http://developer.apple.com/ios
- Select iOS provisioning portal (right side.)
- Select DEVICES (left.)
- Add or delete devices as desired.
NOTE: Device names sort alphabetically, so you may want to encode prefixes to help sort groups (beta, MF_, etc.) Or not, your choice.
- Select PROVISIONING (left.)
- Select DISTRIBUTION tab (top.)
- Select EDIT->MODIFY for the ad-hoc profile appropriate for the app
(At this point, you may only have one ad-hoc profile. In the future, there may be others.)
- Add/remove the devices you want on the ad-hoc.
- Select SUBMIT.
NOTE: Profile will display as PENDING.
- Select DISTRIBUTION tab again (to refresh screen. Status will change to ACTIVE.)
- Select DOWNLOAD the profile.
- Email it to your developer and tell him you want to use this new one, going forward.
IMPORTANT NOTE: A provisioning profile is baked into a build. Changing the profile will not affect who can install an earlier build, only future builds using that profile.
The whole ad-hoc profile thing is part of Apple's security that forces all apps to go through the iTunes store. You can't install an app without the iTunes store or this ad-hoc procedure. Apple is trying to prevent self-distribution of apps.