Create your Distribution profile
Before you can upload your application to the iTunes App Store, you need to encode it with your Distribution Profile. Your developer will likely send you a final review copy using your ad-hoc profile then, when you give the approval, he will (a) bump the version number to reflect the product's ready-to-go state, (b) re-build the project signing it with your Distribution Profile then (c) email you the app package ready to upload to the iTunes store.
To create a Distribution Profile:
- Log in to http://developer.apple.com/ios
- Go to iOS portal (upper-right side.)
- If you have already created a "JustWildcard" App-ID (as for your ad-hoc provisioning profile), skip down to "Select DISTRIBUTION", below. Otherwise, continue with the steps below:
- Select APP IDS (left side.)
- Select ADD ID.
- Enter App-ID name as "JustWildcard" (no quotes.) - In the other field, just put "*" (no quotes.) This creates a profile that will work for any app, so you don't have to make a new one for each project. - Submit.
- Select DISTRIBUTION (left side.)
- Select PREPARE APP (across the top.)
- Select OBTAINING YOUR IPHONE DISTRIBUTION CERTIFICATE.
- There are several sub-sections, here (4 as of April 27, 2009.) Follow the instructions under EACH sub-section.
- Especially important is the part about saving your private key and transferring to other systems. This allows your developer to build the application for distribution in the iTunes App Store using YOUR certificate.
- Select CREATE AND DOWNLOAD YOUR IPHONE DISTRIBUTION PROVISIONING PROFILE FOR APP STORE DISTRIBUTION.
- Follow the instructions, provided.
- Use App-ID: JustWildcard, created earlier. - Name your profile: AppStoreYourCompanyName i.e., mine is "AppStoreManyFriends"
- Create a new folder on your desktop.
- Name it "AppStoreProvisionFiles"
- Place the app-store provisioning profile, the distribution certificate and the private-key export -- three files in all -- into this new folder.
- Compress the folder.
- In OS-X, right-click the folder and select "Compress AppStoreProvisionFiles".
- Send the resulting AppStoreProvisionFiles.zip file to your developer.
To renew your profile
Instructions to renew an app-store profile are the same as for renewing an ad-hoc profile