General project flow
Most projects start with a phone call or email of introduction and to discuss the project at a high level. We may send an NDA to the client (or use theirs, if they have one), then we may exchange a few more emails/phone calls discussing the project in greater detail. From that point, most projects follow this general pattern:
- Initial design and paperwork.
- We finalize the design (which could be as simple as the client reading my summary and saying "yeah, that's what I want.")
- I'll send some paperwork to sign.
- A boilerplate Non Disclosure Agreement wherein we promise not to give away each other's business secrets.
- A boilerplate Software Development Contract wherein I promise to do a professional job of programming as you ask, you promise to pay my invoices, etc.
- An "Addendum-A", which is an addendum to the SDC, which describes this project in particular, my estimate, an hourly cap ("do not work longer than X hours without client approval"), payment terms, and a section describing how the client can request, and we can agree to do, additional work.
- Project management.
- Client sends (snail-mail or scan & email) signed contracts and a deposit (applied to you first invoice.)
- Client signs-up to be an Apple iPhone developer.
- We'll send instructions for client to create an issue-tracking database.
- We'll send instructions for adding our test devices to your ad-hoc profile.
- Client sends an ad-hoc profile with our test devices on it.
- NOTE: if you want us to handle all of the iPhone Developer stuff -- creating ad-hoc profiles, signing the app with your certificate, submitting to the store, etc. -- we can, although that will add a few hours to the project time.
- In addition, we recommend that the client participate in this portion, as experience in this area helps to smooth project-related discussions.
- Initial wireframe.
- Client sends initial content for use in preview-apps sent to review progress.
- This content may be placeholder. That is, we don't need final images and text, just something to stand-in for the app wireframe (below.)
- We send an ad-hoc "wireframe" of your app. This will demonstrate basic navigation and app-flow, although the actual functionality and content will be missing.
- Iterate & completion
- Additional ad-hoc previews will be sent for client review as different phases of the app are completed, adjustments are made, etc.
- We send the final package, ready to submit to the app store.
- Every Monday, we email a progress report which includes: progress this week (and billable hours worked), planned work for next week and any issues/concerns.
- Every other Monday, we invoice the previous two weeks' work.
- Invoices are due on receipt, and carry a discount if paid within 30 days.